Professional Field of Dietetics and Nutrition
Integrated course, 3.00 ECTS
• gain an insight into the history, development and related sciences of dietetics and develop a comparative international perspective of the profession
• are familiar with the tasks and competences of dietitians and are able to put them in relation to the key elements of their course
• are familiar with the occupational profile of dietitians in Austria, the legal basis and relevant legal provisions of the Act on Allied Health Professions (MTD-G)
• understand processes in the healthcare sector and interdisciplinary cooperation (interfaces, differentiation)
• deal with national and international professional associations
• gain an insight into the determinants of dietary behaviour
• are introduced to the dietetic process as a method
• are made familiar with different kinds of scientific literature and literature research in libraries and catalogues
The module gives students an overview of the tasks, methods and sciences related to dietetics and the contents and competencies to be acquired during their studies. The students are also prepared for literature-based scientific work in English.
• are familiar with the tasks and methods of dietetics in a national and international context
• understand the contributions of different related sciences to dietetics research and practice
• are able to put questions of nutrition in relation to the wider context of health determinants
• are familiar with different types of academic and scientific literature and learn how to search for literature in libraries
• acquire and practice the ability to provide information about the professional field of dietetics in English and to present and discuss subject-specific content.
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
Books, journals and relevant current primary literature will be announced by the lecturers at the start of the course or are included in the relevant syllabus.
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Assessment methods and criteria