Introduction to Scientific Methodology
Integrated course, 2.00 ECTS
In this course, the basics of research and applied methods, as it is required in the daily working routine of dieticians, will be teached. In blocks of different topics, students are introduced to scientific literature research, in critical appraisal of scientific texts, but also to the main aspects of quality assessment of scientific text (-sorts). In addition, correct citation and formulation of research questions will be discussed. Extensive exercises are used for each topic block, which serve to learn or deepen the contents. In the course EWI, there is a close connection with the course "Nutrition Therapy and Dietetics 1" as well as with the course "Guided Internship" - the acquired skills are used in the context of case studies or real counseling cases.
- Gain insights into the importance of scientific work in general and in their professional field in particular in the context of evidence-based working
- Understand the basic criteria and characteristics of scientific thinking and working
- Know the basic forms of publication and their differences for their professional field
- Can formulate research questions
- Can purposefully derive search terms from it
- Mastering the fundamentals of literature research, including selected specialist databases
- Can categorize sources that grossly evaluate their quality
- Can cite sources properly
- Understand and distinguish the basic forms of empirical research (qualitative and quantitative methods of data collection, hierarchy of evidence)
- Can synthesize a research question, literature search & text evaluation in a concrete example into a written report
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
- Ritschl, V., Weigl, R. & Stamm, T. (2016). Wissenschaftliches Arbeiten und Schreiben. Verstehen, Anwenden, Nutzen für die Praxis. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer.
- Heesen, B. (2014). Wissenschaftliches Arbeiten. Methodenwissen für das Bachelor-, Master- und Promotionsstudium. (3.Auflage), Berlin: Springer.
- Haas, S., Breyer, E., Knaller, C. & Weigl, M. (2013). Evidenzrecherche in der Gesundheitsförderung (Wissen 10 Teil 1 Handbuch). Wien: GÖG/FGÖ.
- Voss, R. (2016). Wissenschaftliches Arbeiten ...leicht verständlich! (4. Auflage), Konstanz, München: UTB.
- Brezina, H. & Grillenberger, A. (2008). Schritt für Schritt zur wissenschaftlichen Arbeit in Gesundheitsberufen. Wien: Facultas.
- Kleibel, V. & Mayer, H. (2011). Literaturrecherche für Gesundheitsberufe. Wien: Facultas.
- Ebster, C. & Stalzer, L. (2. Auflage, 2003). Wissenschaftliches Arbeiten für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftler. Wien: UTB.
Mode of delivery
- face-to-face (in-class presentations)
- self-study of selected topics
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Assessment methods and criteria
- Exercises during classroom sessions: 10%
- Dietetics process of the course "Nutrition Therapy and Dietetics 1" case study 1, bibliography, citations: 20%
- Term paper: Selected topics from the course "Nutrition Therapy and Dietetics 1" or " Guided Internship": 60%
- Journal Club - Discussion and Critical Evaluation of Scientific Texts: 10%