Before you start your semester abroad, you need to find out about health insurance and visa or about intercultural differences in your host country.

Insurance abroad

Preparing to spend a stay abroad also includes organising international insurance.

Going abroad with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Health care provision is often regulated entirely differently abroad. With the EHIC card, you can gain fast and easy access to medical care in line with the regulations of the respective EU member states, EEA countries, Switzerland, Macedonia, Serbia and Bosnia-Herzegovina . The EHIC can be found on the reverse of your e-card. More information can be found here. If you are planning an ERASMUS+ trip abroad, you are responsible for informing yourself about international (health) insurance in good time.

Accident and liability insurance of the Austrian Student Union (ÖH)

On payment of their ÖH membership fee, students are covered by accident and liability insurance during their course. For more information, see the ÖH website.

Studying outside of Europe

It is recommend that you take out valid travel and health insurance before you travel abroad. Some countries require valid insurance for a visa to be issued.

Intercultural Preparation: Preparatory Workshop (as part of the Accompanying Seminar)

Officially nominated outgoing students and interns are being prepared for their stay abroad by a preparatory workshop. We will help you with your questions, deal with administrative issues and you can learn more about intercultural communication and European/global citizens in an interactive setting.

Travel information of the BMEIA

The travel information section of the BMEIA provides useful travel information. Please be aware of global travel warnings!

You will find answers to questions such as:
How safe is the country?
Do I need a visa?
How do I contact the nearest embassy or the nearest consulate in case of emergency?
What should I do in case of loss of passport or sudden illness?

Country specific information of ministry

Emergencies abroad

Before you leave please register online so that the Ministry for foreign affairs can provide assistance more efficiently in case of emergencies.

ERASMUS+ Online Linguistic Support (OLS)

Under the new Erasmus+ programm generation an online linguistic support will be offered for the languages German, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, Greek, Croatian, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Slovak, Finnish and Swedish.

What is the Online Linguistic Support?
Erasmus+ offers opportunities to study, train, gain work experience or volunteer abroad and one of its strategic objectives is to strengthen linguistic skills and support language learning.

The OLS language assessment is mandatory for all participants to Erasmus+ mobility activities of at least two months (studies/traineeships/EVS volunteering) with one of the following languages as the main language of instruction, work or volunteering: German, English, Spanish, French, Italian and Dutch (with the exception of native speakers). Erasmus+ mobility participants must take the assessment before their mobility period. The online assessment assesses participants’ language skills – listening, reading and writing – according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

What happens with the assessment results?
For higher education students, the results will not be communicated to the receiving institution/organisation.


Mit dem Laden des Videos akzeptieren Sie die Datenschutzerklärung von YouTube.
Mehr erfahren

Video laden