English for Communication
Seminar, 2.00 ECTS
This course aims at ensuring a common proficiency level of English among students and providing the basis for more profound discussions of topics in the fields of “energy”, “mobility” or the “environment” in semesters 2 to 4. The major focus of this course is to repeat and revise important concepts (written and oral English) and selected grammar chapters. Additionally, new types of written communication like, for instance, business letters or technical process descriptions will be discussed.
- Chapter 1: Welcome to English for Communication
- Chapter 2: Working as a team
- Chapter 3: Communication in the workplace
- Chapter 4: Technical Communication
- Achieve a common level of English within the group
- Improve oral and written English competencies
- Ability to draft business letters and create technical process descriptions
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
The following literature is the basis for this course.
Brieger , N., & Comfort, J. (2003). BEC Vantage - Masterclass Upper Intermediate. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Powell, M. (2014). Incompany 3.0 - Intermediate. Deutschland: Hueber Verlag.
Riordan, D.G. (2014): Technical Report Writing Today. Wadsworth: Cengage Learning.
Spotlight Magazine and Business Spotlight Magazine
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Secondary school leaving level
Assessment methods and criteria
Continuous assessment with additional written/oral examinations