Strategic Management - Cases in international Business (Success and Pitfall Studies)
Integrated course, 4.00 ECTS
This integrated lecture aims at introducing students to the principles and concepts of strategic management, including the overall strategic process, the formulation of corporate and business strategies as well as their implementation. In the course of the semester students learn how to use the strategic management tool box to analyse a company's internal and external environment, create strategic scenarios and develop business models. Another focus area of the lecture is international business and how to conduct business in a globalized market place. For this purpose, the essentials of internationalization as well as risks and market entry strategies will be discussed. To support the international focus of this lecture, three guest lectures focusing on the regions “India”, “China” and the “Middle East” will highlight key opportunities and challenges of doing business internationally. The overall lecture is supported by relevant case studies that illustrate different cases in international business settings, preparing students for their future roles in middle or higher management.
- Essentials of Strategic Management
- Introduction to the Case Study Method
- Introduction to International Business
- International focus: India – Middle East – China
After completion of this lecture, students will be able to
- define the concepts of strategy and business models
- explain the strategic process and analyse different industry strategies
- understand the internationalization motives of companies and different modes of market entry
- apply strategic tools and theoretical concepts to international case studies
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
The following literature is the basis for this course.
- Cavusgil, S., Knight, G. & Riesenberger, J. (2017) International Business – New Realities. Pearson.
- Ellet, W. (2018). The Case Study Handbook – A student‘s guide. Harvard Business Review Press.
- Grant, R. (2014). Contemporary strategy analysis. Wiley.
- Frynas, J., and Melliahi, K. (2014). Global Strategic Managment, Oxford University Press.
- Gassmann, O., Frankenberger, K. and Cisk, M. (2014). The business model navigator: 55 models that will revolutionise your business. Pearson Education.
- Osterwalder A., Pigneur Y. (2013): Business Model Generation, Wiley, New Jersey.
- Porter, M. (2004). Competitive Strategy – Techniques for analysing industries and competitors. Free Press.
- Wunder, T. (2016). Essentials of Strategic Management. Effective formulation and execution of Strategy. Schäffer-Poeschel Verlag.
- Selected articles and case studies by Harvard University Press, McKinsey Quarterly, Deloitte and other providers will be provided to students.
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Bachelor Know-How "Energie-, Mobilitäts- und Umweltmanagement" or similar
Assessment methods and criteria
Continuous assessment with additional written/oral examinations