Evidence Based Practice
Lecture, 1.50 ECTS
• understand the steps of EBP and their significance in occupational therapy practice.
• can formulate research questions relevant for occupational therapy.
• can carry out a systematic literature search in databases and analyse and assess the literature found based on special quality criteria and assessment instruments.
• can categorise the results of the literature search, relate them to the question at hand and answer the question by consulting sources
• understand the functions of the individual parts of a scientific paper and can present the results of a research project accordingly.
• learn to understand statistical terms and can carry out simple calculations themselves.
In this module, the students are made familiar with the work steps of “evidence based practice“ and can apply them to specific problems. They expand their receptive and productive English skills in order to be able to better understand English scientific test and communicate appropriately in professional exchange situations. Competences are acquired by combining content from the two courses included in the module.
• understand the concept of evidence-based practice and can describe its significance for their professional field.
• can define and explain the individual steps of evidence-based practice using examples and know its fundamental instruments.
• learn to describe the occupational therapy process and its individual steps, the healthcare system and medical professions as well as complex disorders and diseases in English, in combination with content from modules 1 and 8.
• can talk about the occupational therapy process, hospital routines, pain and disease in English, in combination with content from modules 1, 7, 12 and 13.
• can perform the individual steps of evidence-based practice, from formulating research questions, searching and reading complex English professional articles through to in-depth assessment and scientific summary (oral and written, German and English) of the evidence found, including the results of quantitative and qualitative research.
• can give professional presentations in German and English meeting professional standards of language, media and communication.
Contribution to the acquisition of competences according to FH-MTD-AV Annex 5, 8 and 9: WK1, WK2, SK 3, SK 4,
• are aware of the responsibility of their role in the context of evidence based practice.
• experience themselves dealing with scientific occupational therapy texts
• experience themselves discussing scientific content.
• learn to better assess their own English linguistic-communicative behaviour and reduce their apprehension of using professional English in a group.
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
Books, journals and relevant primary literature will be announced by the lecturers at the start of the course or are included in the relevant syllabus.
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Modules 1-3, 6
Assessment methods and criteria
Continuous assessment as well as oral and/or written module exam