Professional English for Occupational Therapists 2
Integrated course, 1.50 ECTS
• practise and consolidate their skills of reading scientific texts efficiently based on scientific journal articles.
• practise search strategies and search terms in English
• can research and read an English professional article efficiently and present it orally and in writing.
• learn linguistic and communicative strategies for professional presentations in English; give and receive feedback on their own presentations.
• can describe the healthcare system and hospital routines (structures, equipment, processes, medical staff) in English
• learn to describe complex disorders and diseases relevant for occupational therapy practice in English, based on selected examples of relevant content from semester 2.
• can describe and explain the occupational therapy process and its individual steps in English.
In this module, the students are made familiar with the work steps of “evidence based practice“ and can apply them to specific problems. They expand their receptive and productive English skills in order to be able to better understand English scientific test and communicate appropriately in professional exchange situations. Competences are acquired by combining content from the two courses included in the module.
• understand the concept of evidence-based practice and can describe its significance for their professional field.
• can define and explain the individual steps of evidence-based practice using examples and know its fundamental instruments.
• learn to describe the occupational therapy process and its individual steps, the healthcare system and medical professions as well as complex disorders and diseases in English, in combination with content from modules 1 and 8.
• can talk about the occupational therapy process, hospital routines, pain and disease in English, in combination with content from modules 1, 7, 12 and 13.
• can perform the individual steps of evidence-based practice, from formulating research questions, searching and reading complex English professional articles through to in-depth assessment and scientific summary (oral and written, German and English) of the evidence found, including the results of quantitative and qualitative research.
• can give professional presentations in German and English meeting professional standards of language, media and communication.
Contribution to the acquisition of competences according to FH-MTD-AV Annex 5, 8 and 9: WK1, WK2, SK 3, SK 4,
• are aware of the responsibility of their role in the context of evidence based practice.
• experience themselves dealing with scientific occupational therapy texts
• experience themselves discussing scientific content.
• learn to better assess their own English linguistic-communicative behaviour and reduce their apprehension of using professional English in a group.
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
Books, journals and relevant primary literature will be announced by the lecturers at the start of the course or are included in the relevant syllabus.
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Modules 1-3, 6
Assessment methods and criteria
Continuous assessment and written and/or oral module examination