Professional English for Occupational Therapists 3
Integrated course, 1.50 ECTS
• learn appropriate and effective linguistic strategies for discussions held in English (polite to decisive agreement/disagreement, conveying messages, obtaining opinions, involving others, chairing a discussion, etc.).
• apply these communicative skills in discussions on professional topics and in fictitious case discussions in multiprofessional teams.
• learn to react to clients in English in relevant communicative situations (obtaining information, building trust, calming, giving instructions and recommendations in a polite manner, describing motor activities and bodily sensations, etc.) of the occupational therapy process in an appropriate and supportive manner
• can name and describe occupational therapy aids in English
In this module the students learn to understand methods of quantitative and qualitative research in occupational therapy and to apply a methodical approach. They can verify scientific hypotheses by experiment and are familiar with the procedures used in studies. They can relate the generated results to occupational therapy, present them in accordance with scientific principles and discuss them.
The students are able to master typical communicative situations with patients and colleagues in an occupational therapy setting in English.
• are familiar with methods of quantitative and qualitative research in occupational therapy and understand how they contribute to the generation of knowledge.
• apply this knowledge to simple questions in their own research designs.
• have adequate linguistic strategies for communicative situations in different occupational therapy settings and in line with the steps of the occupational therapy process.
• apply this knowledge to simple questions and their own research designs..
• are able to develop simple hypotheses and verify them based on experimental research designs.
• can present their own research work in writing and structure it correctly in line with scientific principles.
• can relate the results of their research work and the methodical approach to existing knowledge and discuss them.
• can react and communicate appropriately and efficiently in English in discussions in multiprofessional teams or in international exchange situations.
• are aware of the ethical principles of empirical research and utilise data material appropriately.
• experience themselves in different typical roles in fictitious communicative situations using professional English.
Contribution to the acquisition of competences according to FH-MTD-AV Annex 5, 8 and 9: WK1, WK2, WK3, WK4 SK3, SK7, SK8
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
Books, journals and relevant primary literature will be announced by the lecturers at the start of the course or are included in the relevant syllabus.
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Assessment methods and criteria
Continuous assessment and oral and/or written module exam