Nutrition and dietetics for mother and baby
Integrated course, 1.50 ECTS
This course concentrates on the foundations of dietetics with a special focus on nutrition in pregnancy, puerperium, breastfeeding and the first twelve months of infancy. Among the issues dealt with in this course are prevention of diet-related conditions during pregnancy as well as their dietary therapy (e.g. hyperemesis, itching, folic acid deficiency, dietary proteins and EPH gestosis, premature labour, food-borne parasites), gestational diabetes, nutritional behaviour, nutrients for mother and child, food additives, efficiency of herbal therapy, dietary supplements and functional food. In practical classes the students prepare different kinds of baby food.
• The students know the most important techniques of consultation as well as the approaches to prepare issues for consultation for different consultation settings. They have special competence in nutritional issues, crisis situations, pregnancy and puerperal conditions and can provide tips for prevention.
The students can
• represent their own decisions in the professional world
• recognize the scope of midwifery responsibility and assist the physician to provide specialist antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care if risks are suspected or occur
• search for evidence based findings in national and international sources
• work according to legal professional standards and economic and ecological principles
• recognize the responsibility of other health care professionals and initiate interdisciplinary intervention