Counselling and care in pregnancy
Integrated course, 1.00 ECTS
This course deals with the physical and mental changes that a woman undergoes in pregnancy. The students learn how to look after the well-being of the woman during this time and how to give specialist care if minor disorders occur.
Special emphasis is placed upon a holistic view of the special situation of the pregnant woman and on the task of antenatal counseling. The students are given the opportunity to focus on medical and holistic aspects of care as well as on the importance of achieving client compliance and on successful communication .
1. The students know the procedures of making a diagnosis and differential diagnoses during pregnancy and birth. They are able to recognize and manage medical conditions complicating pregnancy and birth and know when specific physician intervention and support is required.
2. The students can
- recognize the scope of midwifery responsibility and assist the physician to provide specialist antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care if risks are suspected or occur
- assess their own professional abilities
- represent their own decisions in the professional world
- recognize the responsibility of other health care professionals and initiate interdisciplinary intervention
- maintain all necessary records and analyze and evaluate the findings