Management of peripartal emergencies
Integrated course, 1.00 ECTS
In this course the students further develop their knowledge of pathological pregnancy and labour and enhance their management skills of the pathologies in an interprofessional context (e.g. guidelines for shoulder dystocia, unexpected haemorrhage, preterm labour, gestosis and eclampsia). The students work out emergency reminders and practice the procedures on obstetric models.
• This course enables the students to recognize prenatal perinatal, postnatal and newborn pathologies, to know appropriate obstetric procedures and to initiate, carry out or assist in treatment and emergency treatment measures.
The students can
• recognize the responsibility of other health care professionals and initiate interdisciplinary intervention
• maintain all necessary records and analyze and evaluate the findings
• provide midwifery care according to specialist experience and apply research findings to practice
• recognize the scope of midwifery responsibility and assist the physician to provide specialist antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care if risks are suspected or occur
• recognize and cope with life-threatening situations