Obstetric pathologies 2
Integrated course, 3.00 ECTS
The students learn to differentiate between physiological and pathological labour from the obstetric perspective and learn to recognize when and which therapeutic interventions are needed.
Special emphasis is placed upon pathologies, blood parameters and blood test results, confident handling of the CTG and interpreting CTG results. The course aims at routine handling of obstetric pathologies.
The students practice suturing techniques and learn to repair obstetric injuries on a model. They are also given an introduction into diagnostic ultrasound in fetal scanning.
• This course enables the students to recognize prenatal perinatal, postnatal and newborn pathologies, to know appropriate obstetric procedures and to initiate, carry out or assist in treatment and emergency treatment measures.
The students can
• recognize the responsibility of other health care professionals and initiate interdisciplinary intervention
• maintain all necessary records and analyze and evaluate the findings
• provide midwifery care according to specialist experience and apply research findings to practice
• recognize the scope of midwifery responsibility and assist the physician to provide specialist antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care if risks are suspected or occur
• recognize and cope with life-threatening situations