Placement 1 (7 weeks)
Work placement, 9.00 ECTS
Practical experience of previously acquired theoretical knowledge:
• basic nursing care and observation of clinical cases
• use of materials and instruments and patient contact by applying hygienic standards
• recognition of the needs of clients in requirement of care
• introduction to documentation
• basic support and care of the labouring woman
• basic pregnant woman care (external examination for determining fetal position, Leopold manoevres, pelvic dimensions, external signs of pregnancy, EDD, checking fetal heart sound by fetal stethoscope and CTG)
nursery and breastfeeding clinic:
• fundamental skills of newborn care and observation
• brestfeeding support
In this placement the students become confident in using their practical skills. The placement will be in a number of clinical settings as well as in midwifery offices, birth houses, health and social care settings.
The accompanying course “ integrative process” enhances the knowledge and the integration of theory and practice and helps the future midwife to work independently.
Mode of delivery
The students are integrated in the clinical areas; they practice communication and clinical skills under supervision.