Placement 4 (9 weeks)
Work placement, 12.00 ECTS
Practical experience of previously acquired theoretical knowledge:
antenatal clinic, antenatal diagnosis:
• carrying out antenatal examinations
• diagnostic measures to recognize pathologies
• carrying out and reflection of consultations
• support and care of the labouring woman
• fundamentals of interpretation of the cardiotocograph and fetal heart frequency patterns
• evaluation of the third stage of labour
• primary assessment and care of the newborn
birth house, home birth placement:
• reflection and case discussion
• planning of parentcraft classes
• carrying out and reflection of single parentcraft classes
• practice in consultation
family planning clinic, midwifery office:
• observation and reflection of consultations
• reflection of care situations
In this placement the students become confident in using their practical skills. The placement will be in a number of clinical settings as well as in midwifery offices, birth houses, health and social care settings.
The accompanying course “ integrative process” enhances the knowledge and the integration of theory and practice and helps the future midwife to work independently.
The students keep a placement log for reflecting, evaluating and documenting the work experience and the learning process. This is supplemented by a written evaluation by the teaching midwife and the local supervisor.
Mode of delivery
The students are integrated in the clinical areas, they practice communication and clinical skills under supervision.