Placement 5 (11 weeks)
Work placement, 15.00 ECTS
Practical experience of previously acquired theoretical knowledge:
• support and care of the labouring woman
• support of the perineum
• control of the third stage of labour
• suturing the perineum or perineal tears under the supervision of a physician
• primary assessment and care of the newborn
• management of intrapartal pathologies
• emergency measures
maternity unit, nursery, breastfeeding clinic:
• care and observation of the newborn
• support and counseling of parents
• recognizing pathologies and failure to thrive
• assessment of newborn development in week one
• recognizing newborn pathologies
• monitoring sick and susceptible newborns
• assessment of newborn development
In this placement the students become confident in using their practical skills. The placement will be in a number of clinical settings as well as in midwifery offices, birth houses, health and social care settings.
The accompanying course “ integrative process” enhances the knowledge and the integration of theory and practice and helps the future midwife to work independently.
The students keep a placement log for reflecting, evaluating and documenting the work experience and the learning process. This is supplemented by a written evaluation by the teaching midwife and the local supervisor.
Mode of delivery
The students are integrated in the clinical areas, they practice communication and clinical skills under supervision