Management Accounting (Controlling) (Calculation, Instruments, Key Performance Indicators) 2
Integrated course, 4.00 ECTS
• Introduction to management accounting
• Strategic vs. Operative management accounting
• Distinction between accounting and management
• Process cost accounting
• Target costing
• Key performance indicators and systems of financial control
• Focus on excess profit figures based on the example of Economic Value Added
• Balance sheet analysis based on key performance indicators
The students are able to
• apply the methods and tools of management accounting in a goal-oriented manner.
• reproduce the tasks and content of management accounting, and distinguish them from managerial tasks.
• distinguish cost management from cost accounting and derive the major organizational and referential objects.
• apply selected cost management tools such as process cost accounting or target costing
• apply the major systems of financial control and interpret the significance of key performance indicators.
• Conduct KPI-based balance sheet analysis and interpret the results
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
• Coennenberg/Fischer: Kostenrechnung und Kostenanalyse
• Kemmetmüller/Bogensberger.: Handbuch der Kostenrechnung
• Schweitzer/Küpper: Systeme der Kosten- und Erlösrechnung
• Wolfsgruber: Kostenrechnung und Kostenmanagement
• Kremin-Buch: Strategisches Kostenmanagement
• Brunner/Gabriel/Bischof: Prozessmanagement
• Wagenhofer Bilanzierung und Bilanzanalyse
The lecturer agrees to pass on an updated list of recommended literature to the students in accordance with the syllabus.
• Controller Magazin
• Zeitschrift für Controlling
• Controlling & Management (ehem. krp - Kostenrechnungspraxis)
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Basic knowledge of business administration and Accounting 1
Assessment methods and criteria
Exam and continuous assessment