Machine Elements 1 (Design Elements, Cax)
Integrated course, 3.00 ECTS
• Basic terminology of machine elements
• Introduction to standardised drafting
• Standardisation, standard measures, fits and tolerances, structural and positional tolerance
• Detachable connections (screws, bolts and pins, shaft-hub connections)
• Rotational elements (axles and shafts, tribology, lubricated bearings, roller bearings, bearing and shaft seals and gaskets, shaft couplings, brakes, gears, belt transmission)
• Non-detachable connections (welding, presses, soldering, glueing, riveting)
The students are able to
• describe the most important components used in mechanical engineering, where they are used, as well as their advantages and disadvantages.
• apply a basic knowledge of mechanical engineering and drafting
• calculate mechanical forces for the design of machine components.
• draw sketches of machine elements
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
• Bargel/Schulze: Werkstoffkunde
• Domke: Werkstoffkunde und Prüfung
• Fachkunde Metall
• Dubbel/Beitz/Küttner: Taschenbuch für den Maschinenbau
The lecturer agrees to pass on an updated list of recommended literature to the students in accordance with the syllabus.
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Production Engineering 1
Assessment methods and criteria
Exam and continuous assessment