Production Engineerin 2 (Primary Shaping and Forming)
Integrated course, 3.00 ECTS
• Casting process
• Materials selection for casting purposes
• Creating a casting model
• Non-cutting forming processes
• Forming processes
• Tube manufacturing
• Rail manufacturing
• Additive manufacturing (3D printing)
The students are able to
• analyse basic terminology: manufacturing and production technology, primary shaping, forming, cutting, coating, material properties, alteration, joining, material, work piece, tools, tooling dies and machines.
• the principal understanding of and ability to repeat the context between the inner structure of materials and their resulting technical properties and field of practical applications.
• Recognise the application limits and possibilities of materials from the four main categories and assess them according to their characteristic properties.
• correctly assign terminology to its applications, apply technical understanding and deepen knowledge of materials science by means of further literature and also by discussing the topic with experts on the subject.
• develop basic skills in the subject in order to be able to link the content of lectures in production technology and engineering in higher semesters.
• recognise the main laws of mechanics, as well as establishing the thought processes, guidelines and applied working methods common to the discipline of mechanical engineering.
• analyse the most important components used in mechanical engineering (incl. fields of application, advantages and disadvantages)
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
• Bargel/Schulze: Werkstoffkunde
• Domke: Werkstoffkunde und Prüfung
• Fachkunde Metall
• Dubbel/Beitz/Küttner: Taschenbuch für den Maschinenbau
The lecturer agrees to pass on an updated list of recommended literature to the students in accordance with the syllabus.
• ZWF - Zeitschrift für wirtschaftlichen Fachbetrieb
• VDI Z - Integrierte Produktion
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Assessment methods and criteria
Exam and continuous assessment