Industrial Research Project
Project thesis, 7.00 ECTS
Students work on practically relevant topics in cooperation with industrial companies, or on dedicated research topics of the study programme. Research is conducted for a period of around four months on a problem pertaining to industrial management. A solution is then presented and the measures implemented. Besides deepening their knowledge and skills, students learn aspects of customer awareness by implementing a pre-defined project assignment for either an industrial client or an internal client from the institute. The students have to control the entire process from the kick-off to the final presentation.
Accompanying the project report. Interacting with their staff and clients in a professional project setting.
The students are able to:
• independtly solve complex problems concerning topics in industrial engineering, following scientific criteria.
• lead a project team using methods of project management how to lead staff, etc.).
• devise an academic essay or presentation (this encompasses the process steps: finding an idea, research, disposition).
• structure and implement methods of project management in a focused manner within a project related to industrial management.
• implement methods and tools for quantitative research for their own research purposes.
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
• Theisen: Wissenschaftliches Arbeiten, Vahlen
• Karmasin/Ribing: Die Gestaltung wissenschaftlicher Arbeiten, Ein Leitfaden für Haus-, Seminar- und Diplomarbeiten sowie Dissertationen
• Day/Gastel: How to write & publish a scientific paper, Greenwood
• Eco, U.: Wie man eine wissenschaftliche Abschlussarbeit schreibt, , UTB – C.F.Müller
• Patzak/Rattay: Projektmanagement: Leitfaden zum Management von Projekten, Projektportfolios und projektorientierten Unternehmen, Wien.
• Turner: The handbook of project-based management
• Sterrer/Winkler: Let your projects fly
The lecturer agrees to communicate an updated list of recommended literature in accordance with the syllabus.
Concerning scientific work: all scopus listed academic journals (www.scopus.com)
Concerning project managemenet: Project Management Journal, International Journal of Project Management
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
• Knowledge of scientific writing (Bachelor thesis)
• Previous knowledge of topics pertaining to the field in which the industrial research project is carried out.
• Basic principles of project management
Assessment methods and criteria