Tools for Scientific Work & Research
Seminar, 2.00 ECTS
Based on the previous knowledge students gained in scientific work (lectures in the Bachelor's programme, writing term papers and a Bachelor's thesis), students will gain a greater insight into scientific work and research. The focus lies on the following aspects:
• Preparation: choosing a topic and planning a comprehensive piece of scientific work (research projects and diploma theses)
• Discussing methods
• Professional approach to literature and hermeneutic processes
• Conducting and evaluating studies
• Quantitative and qualitative analysis, especially developing questionnaires, data analysis and evaluation, documentation
• Critical appraisal
• Scientific argumentation (incl. theories, hypotheses, verifications and falsifications)
The students are able to:
• independtly solve complex problems concerning topics in industrial engineering, following scientific criteria.
• lead a project team using methods of project management how to lead staff, etc.).
• devise an academic essay or presentation (this encompasses the process steps: finding an idea, research, disposition).
• structure and implement methods of project management in a focused manner within a project related to industrial management.
• implement methods and tools for quantitative research for their own research purposes.
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
• Theisen: Wissenschaftliches Arbeiten, Vahlen
• Karmasin/Ribing: Die Gestaltung wissenschaftlicher Arbeiten, Ein Leitfaden für Haus-, Seminar- und Diplomarbeiten sowie Dissertationen
• Day/Gastel: How to write & publish a scientific paper, Greenwood
• Eco, U.: Wie man eine wissenschaftliche Abschlussarbeit schreibt, , UTB – C.F.Müller
• Patzak/Rattay: Projektmanagement: Leitfaden zum Management von Projekten, Projektportfolios und projektorientierten Unternehmen, Wien.
• Turner: The handbook of project-based management
• Sterrer/Winkler: Let your projects fly
The lecturer agrees to communicate an updated list of recommended literature in accordance with the syllabus.
Concerning scientific work: all scopus listed academic journals (www.scopus.com)
Concerning project managemenet: Project Management Journal, International Journal of Project Management
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
• Knowledge of scientific writing (Bachelor thesis)
• Previous knowledge of topics pertaining to the field in which the industrial research project is carried out.
• Basic principles of project management
Assessment methods and criteria