Intercultural Communication in Supply Chain
Integrated course, 2.00 ECTS
Contents of lecture:
• Elements of Culture
• Taxonomies of Cultural Patterns
• Cultural Intelligence. Cultural Relativism & Cultural Bias
• Culture and Communication
• Corporate Culture and Services
• The Role of Language in Intercultural Business Communication and Verbal Communication Styles
• Nonverbal Language in Intercultural Business Communication
Language of instruction: English
The students are able to
• manage team dynamics in an international supply chain context.
• implement HR policies which enable SCM best practices • Understand the effective leadership skills required to manage the supply chain
• assess leadership qualities in themselves and others. • manage individual differences as source of success trough the entire SCM process in group exercises.
• design a human resource supply chain strategy by using different models.
• manage HR tools in order to enhance the professionalization of SCM
• assess their own cultural intelligence by self-reflection.
• understand how interpersonal relationship skills and emotions can impact intercultural communication by using examples.
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
• Day, D.V ( Ed.):The Oxford Handbook of Leadership and Organizations
• Gibson/Ivancevich/Donnelly/Konopaske: Organizations - Behavior, Structure, Processes
• Mathis, R.L/ Jackson, J.K : Human Resource Management
• Johnsen, T.E. Purchasing and Supply Chain Management. A Sustainability Perspective
• Cohen, S/ Roussel. J Strategisches Supply Chain Management
The lecturer agrees to communicate an updated list of recommended literature in accordance with the syllabus.
•Leadership & Organization Development Journal
•International Journal of Intercultural Relations
•Journal of Communication
•Journal of Intercultural Studies
•Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology
•Harvard Business Manager
•Journal of Leadership & Organizational Studies
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Social Competences & Conflict Mangement, Change Management, Adavanced Strategic Management
Assessment methods and criteria
Final exam & continuous assessment