Advanced Strategic Management
Integrated course, 3.00 ECTS
• Basics of strategic management - strategic analysis, developing strategies, implementing strategies and strategic control (theory)
• Strategic analysis and developing strategies (case studies)
• Strategic fields of activity in corporate functional areas - selected functional strategies:
Language of instruction: English
The students are able to:
• explain the importance of strategic management for a company.
• describe strategic processes incl. phases and the phases in which instruments and concepts are applicable.
• highlight the significance of strategic transformation in applying operational planning, implementation and control instruments.
• interpret strategic concepts in case studies.
• understand public perceptions of companies and the responsibility they hence bear in a global society.
• explain the influence and societal responsibility of companies on their goals, strategies and core processes.
• apply strategically relevant aspects and fields of action in ICT, based on examples, methods and tools.
• evaluate potentials and costs in utilising (specific) IT systems in an enterprise, in accordance with pre-defined methods.
• develop cost and risk management in the field of ICT with a special focus on IT security within the framework of a case study.
• analyse IT Enterprise Architecture Designs and derive critical success factors
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
• Lombriser/Aplanalp: Strategische Unternehmensführung
• Hitt/Ireland/Hoskisson: Strategic Management: Concepts and Cases
• Coulter: Strategic Management in Action
• Wincel: Lean Supply Chain Management: A Handbook for Strategic Procurement
• Tiemeyer: Handbuch IT-Management
• Buchta/Eul/Schulte-Croonenberg: Strategisches IT-Management
• Putzinger: IT für Manager
• Johannsen/Goeken: Referenzmodelle für IT-Governance
The lecturer agrees to communicate an updated list of recommended literature in accordance with the syllabus.
Harvard Business Review
Sloan Management Review
Mode of delivery
Prerequisites and co-requisites
Management Accounting/Leading with Numbers, Production and Supply Chain Optimisation
Assessment methods and criteria
Final exam & continuous assessment