Visual Design, Layout and Typography
Integrated course, 3.00 ECTS
- Basics of graphic design of print and online products
- Gestalt laws, color theories, format selection, layout raster
- Macro typography: page format, text area, text flow, text / image / tables / white space, font size, colors
- Micro typography: font families, font, special characters, tracking
- Difference between word processing and layout software
- Tools: word processing and DTP programs (MS Word, Adobe InDesign, Adobe FrameMaker), working methods and suitability for technical documentation, templates, sample pages
- Production for print or screen (online / offline)
- Interaction of sentence program, image processing and image viewing
The students will learn the following topics in this course:
- The students know the basics and terms of standardization, structuring, modularization and single source publishing / intelligent content.
- The students are familiar with SGML standard development and specific applications and derivations.
- The students know the implementation in practice with methods and models.
- The students are familiar with common software programs for the implementation of structured content creation.
- The students learn to design, plan and evaluate a design concept independently with design, layout and typography »Technical Documentation.
- The students can visually implement what they have learned in a design project for the functionality and handling of a technical product.
- The students can describe the basic workings of popular desktop publishing systems.
- The students can professionally set up and safely operate selected layout programs.
- The students can implement task-specific layouts and content in the tools.
- The students can quickly learn and use new software products for layout design.
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
- Lecture notes
- Schneeberger, Hans Peter "Adobe InDesign CC - Das umfassende Handbuch"
- Gulbins, J. & Kahrmann, C. "Mut zur Typographie"
- Runk, C. "Grundkurs Typografie und Layout, Galileo Design"
- Korthaus, C. "Grundkurs Grafik und Gestaltung: Für Ausbildung und Praxis, Rheinwerk Design"
Mode of delivery
Presence course, eLearning
Prerequisites and co-requisites
According to access requirement
Assessment methods and criteria
Assessment of ongoing, written work or contributions in the eLearning phases.