Design Techniques and Information Graphics
Integrated course, 4.00 ECTS
– The fundamentals of technical illustration: visualization of technical processes or products, combining text and images, creation of image tutorials
– Creating graphical concepts
– Visual testing
– Planning and production of digital vector-based graphics (eg. warning icons and pictograms) with industry leading software (Adobe Illustrator)
– Understanding technical parameters of images: classification (eg. pictogram vs. diagram), image size/resolution, color models, file formats
– Information graphics
– Object photography (basics of photography, optics, characteristics of light, color temperature, digital camera technology), composition of image, design and lighting
– Image editing and manipulation with industry leading software (Adobe Photoshop)
– Measuring visual impact with eye tracking hardware
Students gain a detailed knowledge of the creation and layout of technical documents of various kinds, based on different media typrs and are able to plan and to produce technical graphics and illustrations. They have a profound understanding of the ideation process and know how to work standards-compliant for creating, processing, encoding and storing visual content.
Recommended or required reading and other learning resources / tools
Book recommencations: see individual classes.
Mode of delivery
Integrated course (lectures and exercises)
Prerequisites and co-requisites
This course will be held in German.
Assessment methods and criteria
Evaluation of work and contributions during the eLearning phases.