International Degree-seeking Students

After Graduation


Residence permit after your studies

One-time extension of the residence permit student after completion of studies for the purpose of seeking employment.

Students who have successfully completed their studies in Austria at a university, university of applied sciences, accredited private university, university of teacher education, recognized private university of teacher education or a recognized private course of study or a recognized private university course of study and who wish to obtain a residence title (in particular Rot-Weiß-Rot Card or EU Blue Card) in order to continue living in Austria may extend their residence permit student once for twelve months for the purpose of seeking employment, provided that the general requirements are met. The application for extension has to be submitted to the residence authority before the expiry of the validity period of the last issued residence permit student.

Rot-Weiß-Rot Card for university graduates

The Rot-Weiß-Rot Card for graduates is possible for those who have sucessfully completed a diploma study program at least from the second stage of studies or a master study program at an Austrian university, university of applied sciences or accredited private university. To obtain the Rot-Weiß-Rot Card, it is necessary to have an offer for full-time employment with a minimum monthly gross salary of EUR 2,551.50 (as of 2022). The job must correspond to the applicant's level of education. The statutory minimum gross salary of 2,551.50 euros will no longer apply as of October 1, 2022, but the salary must continue to be in line with local and industry standards and comply with collective bargaining agreements.

The application for a residence title Rot-Weiß-Rot Card must be submitted to the residence authority either before the expiry of the validity period of the residence permit Student.

Working in Austria

Whether or not you are allowed to work in Austria depends on your nationality, the kind of work you would like to undertake and – for nationals of third countries – also on the kind of residence permit you have.

Governmental counseling centers, such as the Austrian Business Agency (immigration(at), inform graduates who are third-country nationals free of charge about possibilities regarding residence law after graduation and the necessary steps to take to stay and work in Austria.