Sport Science Laboratory
The Sport Science Laboratory (SpoSciLab) does research in applied training sciences, with a primary focus on optimising training schedules and developing exercise therapy programmes. The laboratory is equipped to diagnose endurance, strength, speed and coordination, as well as carrying out biomechanical examinations.
In the Sport Science Laboratory sports scientists do applied training research, especially concerning the optimization of training processes and the development of sport and fitness therapy programmes. Research and consulting is done in close cooperation with the staff of our contracting partners. These include a wide variety of companies, organizations and institutions from the fields of sport, health and tourism. Our role is to provide scientifically grounded advice in the field of training science.
Areas of expertise / services offered
The staff of the Sport Science Laboratory does research at an internationally competitive level, the results of which are then transferred into high quality applications.: therapy programmes and training guidance.
We offer research and services in the following areas:
- Diagnostics and training guidance in competitive athletics
- Development of therapy plans in sports- and training therapy
- Holistic training counselling in health sports
The staff has at its disposal the most modern laboratory equipment available, which permits complex analyses not only in the laboratory, but also in the field.
The research findings form the basis for developing new diagnostic methods in sport science for use by health insurance companies, fitness studios and (sports) medicine specialists. One such example is a new method of training the respiratory muscles in patients with restrictive lung diseases which is being developed in cooperation with the pulmonology clinic at Graz-West general hospital. Health tourism businesses such as spas and spa hotels profit from innovative sports therapy programmes for spa guests which offer both preventive as well as therapeutic health measures.
Training programmes which are designed to meet specific needs can prevent cardiovascular and metabolic disorders, strengthen the active and passive musculoskeletal system, and have a positive psychological effect.
What is training science?
Training science is a branch of sport science and draws on a number of disciplines such as physiology, physics and psychology. The goal is to optimize training processes by increasing both the individual’s physical and psychological performance. Sport scientific analysis and/or diagnosis provide a basis for this improvement.
Translating well-grounded research into high quality applications
What quality means for us:
- Individually tailoring optimal, innovative solutions to the requirements of our clients and partners
- Adhering to strict quality- and hygienic standards
- Regular continuing education for staff
- Cooperating with national and international institutions and experts from the field of health and sports
- Being certified by the Federal State of Styria as a sport science research site
The high quality work done by the staff of the FH JOANNEUM’s Sport Science Laboratory frequently is demonstrated by their frequent presentations at international scientific conferences and their regular publications in sport science journals.
The following organisations rely on our expertise:
- SK Sturm Graz (AUT)
- Rubin Kazan (RUS)
- The Austrian Military Pentathlon Team
- The Government of the Federal State of Styria
- Health fonds Styria
- The Farmers‘ Social Insurance Company
- numerous other associations, institutions and businesses in the fields of sports, health and tourism