DI (FH) Astrid Schober
Astrid Schober joined the Wien Energie team as CIO in 2017 and is responsible for shaping the future IT landscape of the company.
Job description: CIO
Company: Wien Energie
I work in: Vienna, Austria
I've worked here since: 2017
What I do:
I am head of the IT division at Wien Energie, Austria’s largest energy service provider. My tasks include: * Responsibility for the IT budget of the company * IT strategy, architecture and IT portfolio management * Human resources management for the IT division, including personnel development.
Why I love my job:
- In the course of digitalisation IT is taking on an exciting role as the enabler of new business models.
- It is an immensely varied job: with new technologies and project ideas constantly arising.
- I am involved in all Wien Energie business fields: from power generation, energy trading, sales & marketing through to customer service or also with the finance and human resources departments.
- I am active in shaping the future IT landscape of Wien Energie.
What I don't like so much about my job:
- Administrative activities – an area where I am glad of the support from my assistants.
- Conflicts of interest cost a lot of energy and delay progress on projects.
- Endless discussions and meetings.
Important skills in my job:
- Analytical and networked thinking
- Excellent communication skills (spoken and written)
- Sound knowledge of current IT technologies and architectures
My biggest success / My greatest experience
The outstanding experiences in my professional life have always been the successful commissioning of projects. You work intensively as a team on a common goal for months and at times it seems that what you are aiming for is completely out of reach, but finally the breakthrough comes and you can celebrate success together.
How I found my current job:
I was contacted by a headhunter. This was followed by several application rounds and a hearing with the Wien Energie management. In the hearing I was able to demonstrate my expertise and abilities for the position of CIO.
What I learned for this job during my studies:
I brought a broad general knowledge about the most varied information technologies with me from my studies. Internship experience was also very important, and in my case also led to my first job.
Job prospects in my field:
Considerable professional experience is needed for rising to the challenge of a CIO position. My employment at international IT consultancies and also my self-employment helped me to gain a broad insight into a wide range of IT companies and projects in a short time. This also allowed me to develop an extensive network.
I am …
- determined & persistent
- one of the few female CIOs in a major Austrian company
About my job:
I am in my dream job at Wien Energie and have arrived where I always wanted to be. Wien Energie is a local energy provider with an enormous innovation potential. We work every day on the mammoth task of keeping the people of Vienna supplied with energy, heating, cooling, telecommunications, electric mobility and many additional services. I am proud to be a part of this organisation.