Rahel Anne Bailie
Activity at FH Joanneum
Lecturer in the Content Strategy Master's Program at FH-Joanneum, as well as a supervisor of Masters theses, and a participant in the curriculum development committee
Academic education and relevant professional development
- BA (with Distinction), Major in Creative Writing; Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Certificate, Management in Not-for-Profit and Voluntary Sector; Centre for Philanthropy, Simon Fraser University Continuing Studies
- Certificate, Content Strategy; The Rockley Group
- Accreditation, Cognitive Edge Consulting Method; Cognitive Edge Conaulting Group
- Certified Professional, Usability and User Experience (CPUX-F), International Software Quality Institute
Work experience relevant to content and publishing
- Chief Knowledge Officer and Head of Content Strategy, Scroll LLP, London, UK - 2015-present
- President and Principal Content Strategy Consultant, Intentional Design Inc, Vancouver, BC, Canada - 2002-2015
- Team Lead/Senior Technical Communicator, Trillium Digital Systems (division of Intel), Vancouver, BC, Canada - 1999-2002
- Senior Technical Communicator, Castleton/Newbridge Networks (bought by Alcatel), Vancouver, BC, Canada - 1997-1999
- Manager, Publishing Program, Legal Services Society of BC, Vancouver, BC, Canada - 1992-1997
- Publication Specialist, Philips Electronics, Montreal, Quebec, Canada - 1989-1992
Teaching at post-secondary institutions and private workshops
- Structured Content for Content Management Systems, Information Architecture course developer, instructor, Document Design, Plain Language, Technical Writing Certificate Program, Simon Fraser University
- Information Development and Design, The University of British Columbia
- Information Architecture (online technology programs), Information Architecture/Content Development/Info, The University of British Columbia
Memberships and volunteer activities
These are paid memberships, aside from informal meetups
- Fellow, Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufacturing, and Commerce
- Fellow, Society for Technical Communication
- Member, Information Architecture Institute
- Member, User Experience Professionals Association
- Member, Content Management Professionals
These are the major volunteer activities
- Coordinator, London Content Strategy meetup and Content, Seriously meetup
- Facilitator, Content Strategy Workshops
- Digital Strategy Advisory Group member, City of Vancouver
- Board member, international level; co-founder and chair of Canada West community, Content Management Professionals Association
- Board member, international level; president, Canada West Coast chapter; Society for Technical Communication
- Advisory committee member, The University of British Columbia
- Development and Design Program, Lead Advisor, Information Development and Design Advisory Committee
- Advisory committee member, Simon Fraser University
Book author, editor, or contributor
- Abel, Scott, Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2014) The Language of Content Strategy. XML Press
- Bailie, Rahel Anne, Urbina, Noz. (2013) Content Strategy: Connecting the dots between business, brand, and benefits. XML Press.
- Gallon, Ray. (2016). The Language of Technical Communication. XML Press.
- Buie, Elizabeth, Murray, Dianne (Eds.) (2012) Chapter 10 of Usability in Government Systems: User Experience Design for Citizens and Public Servants. Morgan Kaufmann.
Journals and association magazines
- Bailie, Rahel Anne, Huset, Jeffrey. (2015) The Effect of Content Management Technologies on Writing Styles and Processes: Two Case Studies,” in Andersen, Rebekka, Batova, Tatiana (Eds.), Content Management —Perspectives From the Trenches. (pp. 242-246) IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication ( Volume: 58, Issue: 3, Sept. 2015 ).
- Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2015) Why We Need to Embrace Social Business in tcworld.
- Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2013) A Methology for Content Strategy in STC Intercom. Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2011) What's the Buzz about Content Strategy in tcworld.
- Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2009) Anticipating the impact of content convergence in Multilingual.
- Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2009) Technical Communication's Value Proposition: Providing Value and Return on Investment in STC Intercom
- Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2007) World of Opportunities in STC Intercom.
- Bailie, Rahel Anne, Ryckborst, Jerome. (2002) Reaching Global Audiences: Doing More with Less in STC Intercom.
Online industry publications
- Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2017) Expanding Content Scope to Drive Customer Information Needs. Adobe.
- Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2015) Intelligent Content: The Best Dinner Party Ever. Content Marketing Institute.
- Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2014) Why Content Marketers Need to Know about Content Strategy. The Content Wrangler.
- Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2009) A Content Strategy Primer. The Content Wrangler.
- Bailie, Rahel Anne. (2007) How to Develop a Great FAQ Page for an Online Course. Elearn.
Selected Slideshare presentations
- Trends in Content Strategy
- What's Your Business Problem: Selling Content Strategy
- Learning from a Connected Africa
- Strategist, Consultant, Advisor: Which are you?
- Bailie, Rahel Anne, Gericke, Christian. Ambassadors for the UN of Content
- Localisation Best Practices Start with the Source
- Marketing Content Is not Content Marketing
- Localisation as Business Benefit
- Content Strategy: A Bridge to Digital Strategy
- Content as a Business Asset
- A Professional Carol: The Past, Present, and Future of Content Strategy
- The UX of Content
- Getting to Success: Implementing a Content Strategy
- Do You Trust Me Now?: Content in the Age of Social Media
- Global Presence, Many Sources: A Content Strategy for High-Volume Content Providers
- Powered by Content: How Content Done Right Fuels Social Business
- Implementing CODA
- Good Products Deserve Good Content
- Stories That Sell: What Content Marketing Can Learn from Content Engineering
- The Nuts and Bolts of Content Engineering
- Social Business Initiatives: Identification and Responsible Implementation
- The Role of Content Strategy in the Remaking of Vancouver Online
- Technical Communication Meets Content Marketing
- Cooking with COPE Content Strategies
- Governance in Intelligent Content Projects
- Content Strategy in a Content Economy
- The Big C: Content Strategy as a Design Framework