My internship at MAGNA Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik AG & Co KG.
Job description: Team leader for Standardisation / Technology Development in Bodywork Construction
Company: MAGNA Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik AG & Co KG
Place: Graz, Austria
I did my internships from July 2012 to September 2016.
What I did:
- Team management for standardisation in bodywork construction
- Appliance & conveyor technology
- Plant equipment & safety technology
- Automation technology
Development & coordination of a technology centre (R&D Learning Line) for bodywork construction
- Industrialisation of joining technologies
- Testing of new machine components
- Technology development for new processes
- Application training for new systems
- Standardisation of joining technologies & systems engineering
Profitability calculations: relocation of production, resource vs inhouse
- Project – relocation of bodywork construction for the Mercedes G
- Feasibility study greenfield / brownfield, Kaliningrad Russia
- Development of a learning factory for training in the MAGNA Factory Concept (production system)
- Pre-development projects – production concepts for multi-material vehicle bodies
Why I enjoyed my internship:
- Exciting projects and challenges in the highly dynamic environment of the automotive industry
- Excellent personal development opportunities
- Substantial trust and transfer of responsibility
What I learned
- Management skills
- Integral expertise in automotive engineering
My biggest success / My greatest experience
- Establishing a technology centre for bodywork construction
- Development of standards in bodywork construction as the basis for all future projects at the Graz site, together with my team. This is essential for the success of the projects and the company.
How I secured the internship
In October 2011, I sent a speculative application to MAGNA Steyr in Graz as part of the co-op Bachelor’s programme in ‘Production Technology & Organisation’. A week later, I received a phone call inviting me to an interview. The interview only lasted 10 minutes and then I had the MAGNA contract in the bag – without even having any contacts at the company!
What I want to do in the future
I never felt like an intern and was never treated like one so I would like to continue working for MAGNA Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik AG & Co KG, especially due to my current role with the company.
My personal career goal: I will do everything I can to be efficient in my post – the rest comes by itself!
I have always wanted to work in the automotive industry and completed my school training & apprenticeship in this field. Since the co-op courses in ‘Production Technology & Organisation’ and ‘Engineering and Production Management’ are only available in Graz and MAGNA Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik AG & Co KG is the only Austrian company covering the full range of services from engineering to the finished vehicle, it was clear to me: I will go to Graz. And I am still enjoying it!