Department of Health Studies

Biomedical Science

My Studies


Semester abroad

The Biomedical Science course offers two options for spending time in another country: an internship or a normal semester of study abroad. The semester of study is spent at one of our partner universities whereas the internship can be spent with a private testing laboratory, hospital or company. This offers an opportunity to get to know other laboratories, scientific institutes and hospitals and their particular specialities and work processes. It also means that our students are able to take part in international projects.

The International Coordinator for the programme supports students in making their arrangements, provides the appropriate contacts, and gives assistance with applications and organisation.

How does it work?

Our students can spend the fifth semester studying in another country. Those who are interested should apply to the programme’s International Coordinator who will support the application to a partner university after the student has been successfully nominated.

If they stay for at least two months in another EU country, students may qualify for support from the ERASMUS programme. If the period spent abroad is not supported by ERASMUS or other grants the students bear the cost themselves.

Partner universities

Our partner universities offer comparable professional training in biomedical science. As there is close conformity with our curriculum, ECTS gained at the partner university can be credited towards the course, and so students do not lose time by spending a semester abroad.

Contact and help

Our International Coordinator will be happy to help you with any queries regarding the semester abroad.

Claudia Bodner
T: +43 316 5453 6686


Before embarking on your stay abroad, you can find out about the exact process, language offers and services available at FH JOANNEUM. Important details about the semester abroad can be found here. Interested in undertaking an internship abroad? Then you can find out all the information you need here.