Health Care and Nursing
Do I meet the admission requirements?
German is the language of instruction. Knowledge of the German language is thus an essential prerequisite (at least Level B2).
Qualification for university entrance
You can apply for a programme at FH JOANNEUM if you have completed
- a secondary academic school or a college for higher vocational education,
- a vocational matriculation exam or
- an apprenticeship diploma plus upper secondary certificate
You have no university entrance qualification
If you have no secondary school leaving or vocational matriculation certificate you need
- a university entrance qualification exam or
- a relevant professional qualification plus additional exams, which you may take as part of the qualification course for university entrance
You need to provide evidence that you have passed the relevant exams until the start of studies.
Qualification course for university entrance
You must complete the following subjects
- Mathematics 1
- English 2
- Biology and Environmental Science
A qualification course for university entrance is offered for example by the Medical University of Graz and by other universities and educational institutions.) and by other universities and educational institutions.
Relevant professional qualification plus additional examinations
Relevant professional qualifications include
- a completed apprenticeship in the fields of health and body care with the exception of fitness coach, hairdresser and wigmaker (stylist), pedicurist and beautician;
- a completed apprenticeship as a pharmaceutical trade assistant;
- completion of a secondary vocational school for social care workers (specialisation in work with elderly people, families or disabled people).
- The following other professional qualifications are also permissible:
- medical technical assistant
- medical assistant
- medical massage therapist
- therapeutic massage therapist / new
1) You must complete the following subjects
- Biology and
- English 2
if you have completed an apprenticeship, a secondary vocational school or vocational training in therapeutic or medical massage.
2) You only need to complete the following subject
- English 2
if you have completed vocational training as a medical technical assistant (MTF).
Applicants with relevant professional qualification must provide evidence that they have completed the additional examinations by 15 November of the first semester at the latest.
You are not an Austrian citizen?
You'll need to meet certain requirements. For more information please go to International Applicants.
Specific requirements for Health Sciences programmes
Once you have been accepted, you need to prove that you fulfil the health requirements for the course by submitting the following documents:
- a health certificate proving medical suitability
- proof of having had the vaccinations recommended for health care workers in Austria by the Federal Ministry for Health.
The final assessment of medical suitability is the responsibility of the head of degree programme.
Here we give you valuable tips for your application and information about which documents you need.