Requirements for admission
The eHealth Master’s degree programme is suitable for applicants with prior knowledge of computer sciences, health care or business. The important point is that you must have excellent IT user skills and enjoy working with IT. You will not need to complete additional courses to catch up on skills required, but should have basic knowledge in the following areas:
- General IT skills: basic knowledge of programming in JAVA and SQL databases and fundamentals of network technologies (TCP/IP).
- Medical IT skills: basic knowledge of medical standards (HL7-CDA, ICD, DICOM, LOINC, etc.) and ELGA.
- Knowledge of the healthcare system: a good overview of the tasks of hospitals, health insurance companies, primary and outpatient care, healthcare financing, other health professions, etc. as well as basic knowledge of the role of eHealth in Austria and internationally.
Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in German at level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
The new and completely revised Master’s degree programme (NEW from academic year 2019/20) gives you the opportunity to choose between three specialisations:
- Software Engineering
- Machine Learning
- IT Management
Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following subjects are considered to meet the admission requirements: Information Management, Internet Technology, (Mobile) Software Design, Mobile Software Development, Business Informatics, Biomedical Engineering, Health Informatics, Software Development or similar.
The same goes for holders of Bachelor’s degrees in health or business studies, including Radiography, Biomedical Science, Dietetics and Nutrition, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Logopedics, Midwifery, Health Care and Nursing, Health Management, Industrial Management or Business Management. These applicants, however, are expected to have a strong affinity for IT and basic IT skills in software development, database and network technologies. These basic IT skills may have been gained from secondary school (secondary technical college or laptop class, etc.), private interest or previous professional experience.
Individual cases can be discussed with the head of degree programme. Crediting previous qualifications and exchanging subjects is possible in principle.
Graduates of other degree programmes also meet the admission requirements for the eHealth Master’s course, e.g.:
- Biomedical Engineering (Graz University of Technology)
- Biomedical Engineering (University of Applied Sciences Technikum Wien)
- Medical and Bioinformatics (University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria)
- Medical Engineering (Carinthia University of Applied Sciences)
- Medical Device Technology (University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria)
- Data Science in Medicine (Ulm University of Applied Sciences) or
- Health Information Management (Ulm University of Applied Sciences).
In ambiguous cases the head of degree programme will decide whether the admission requirements are met. You will be notified of the final decision once we have received your full set of application documents.
You are not an Austrian citizen?
You'll need to meet certain requirements. For more information please go to International Applicants.
Here we give you valuable tips for your application and information about which documents you need.